Monday, July 13, 2009

Phone rang once

The phone only rang once, for some reason, and then went directly to message, so when I ran over to pick it up, I could hear Rose leaving the message 'in real time'. It's always an odd effect, to listen to someone who can't hear you, but you can hear them as they talk to the machine. Well, she was calling from a breakfast place in Brandon, Manitoba and planned to head out that day for Swift Current, Saskatchewan. The dog, she related, was having a fabulous time - getting walks four times a day and eating lots of yummy scraps from restaurants. Ah, life on the road. If only it could stay so halcyon, and never grow old.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I re-read "Travels with Charley: In Search of America" this last winter and was totally surprised to learn that Stienbeck was 58 when he wrote that! (I am 58!) The last time I read that wonderful road trip travelogue with a dog was when I was a teenager! I thought, then, it was written just for me--someone who loved dogs and had a wanderlust. I am delighted that Rose is having an adventure. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Loose Chicken!
    Rose drove past your neck of the woods several days ago - St. Ignace to Duluth in one day. They are on a mission, you see, and didn't want to stop to cut the grass!

    ReplyDelete

All posts are moderated.